‘Don’t throw it away!’ Mouldy foods you can eat – ‘won’t do you any harm’


Bag of salad – “If you open it and its gone slightly moist and wet, it’s not appetising for a start, you’re not going to eat it,” Alice said. 

Mince or ground meat – “If this has mould on it – you’re not going to eat it, and because it’s been processed, it will go off [mouldy] much more quickly than we’re used to,” Alice explained. Bin it. 

Meats – “You’re not going to take a risk with,” the expert added. Bin it. 

Potatoes – “If it’s started to sprout, that’s fine, take the sprout off,” she continued. “If it’s green, that’s got natural toxins in it, you don’t want to ingest many of them so probably not green potatoes.” 

Bread – “I would cut the mouldy bit off and eat it. It’s not going to do you any harm,” Alice explained. The FSA advises against salvaging mouldy bread, as porous food can be contaminated below the surface. As a general rule, mould of 1cm in diameter on the surface has penetrated 1cm deep into the food. 

Jam – Mould on top of jam in a jar, just “scrape the mould off the top of jam”. Alice did say how “the experts say ‘no don’t do it’, but I would.” The FSA warns that “while it is possible that removing the mould and a significant amount of the surrounding product could remove any unseen toxins that are present, there is no guarantee that doing so would remove them all”. 



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.