Nord Stream 1 blasts 'intentional' blow to Europe's gas supply, Danish foreign chief says


The two pipelines supplying gas across most European nations were targeted by repeated explosions on Tuesday, causing a concerning release of gas into the Baltic Sea. Jeppe Kofod told Sky News the evidence is now pointing at a coordinated attack as he confirmed an international investigation is now underway. Mr Kofod said: “What we can see from all available information is that there have been huge explosions at the pipelines Nord Stream 1 and 2 that led to the gigantic leaks we have seen.

“That is what we know and it was intentional, not an accident or something like that.

“We’re now working very hard with all other countries in Europe, around the Baltic Sea in particular, to establish the facts so we can investigate what happened here.

“This is an international matter concerning all countries around the Baltic Sea. It happened in international waters but it’s something concerning all of us.”

The confirmation came after Sweden’s coast guard found a fourth gas leak on the damaged Nord Stream pipelines, a spokesperson told the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper.

JUST IN: Nord Stream pipeline: Fourth leak discovered amid suspected sabotage

 

Coast guard spokesperson Jenny Larsson told the paper: “The other two breaches are in the Danish exclusive economic zone.

“Two of these four are in Sweden’s exclusive economic zone.”

The EU promised a “robust” response to any intentional disruption of its energy infrastructure after confirming they suspected sabotage to be behind the explosions.

Russia has been indicated as the likely actor behind the attacks on the pipelines after repeated threats from Vladimir Putin to cut European access to gas due to widespread support to Ukraine.

READ MORE: Putin and Taliban join forces as Russia strikes deal to export energy

He insisted sabotage was likely, although Brussels has refused so far to name a potential perpetrator or suggested a motive.

The United States, which has led efforts to punish Moscow over the war, believes it is too soon to conclude there was sabotage.

Speaking to the press, a US official said: “The jury is still out. Many of our partners, I think, have determined or believe it is sabotage.

“I’m just — I’m not at the point where I can tell you one way or the other.”

Asked whether any US involvement in the ruptures could be ruled out, they said: “We were absolutely not involved.”

The UN Security Council will convene this Friday to discuss damage to the pipelines at the request of Russia.

Moscow asked for the meeting as it “insists on the need for a comprehensive and objective examination of the circumstances of the unprecedented attacks on Russian pipelines”.

The Russian embassy accused the United States of attempts to “squeeze out” Russia from the energy market through “non-market methods and sanctions.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.