Week-long search for Moors Murder victim ends with no human remains found by police


Moors Murder search

Greater Manchester Police has ended a search on Saddleworth Moor (Image: PA)

A police scene on Saddleworth Moor where experts were searching for the body of Moors Murders victim Keith Bennett has been closed with no evidence to indicate human remains. Greater Manchester Police announced today (October 7) the scene was being closed following the completion of the excavation by accredited forensic experts.

The force said the search concluded there was no evidence to indicate the presence of human remains.

Archaeologists began searching the area last week after author Russell Edwards said he believed he had located the makeshift grave of 12-year-old Keith, who was murdered by Ian Brady and Myra Hindley in 1964.

The Daily Mail reported Mr Edwards believed he had located the youngster’s remains following “extensive soil analysis”.

It is said Mr Edwards commenced his own dig close to where the other Moors Murders victims were found and uncovered a skull with teeth present which independent experts are reported to have concluded is human.

Keith Bennett

Keith Bennett was killed by Moors Murderers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley (Image: PA)

Backlash at nationalist who confronted Kate as princess praised for reaction

Kate has been praised for her calm reaction after being challenged by a woman during a visit to Northern Ireland with Prince William today. The Prince and Princess of Wales were taking part in a walkabout with crowds in Belfast when the incident unfolded.

What happened and how did Kate react? Find out HERE.

Keith was last seen by his mum in the early evening of June 16, 1964 after he left home in Eston Street, Longsight, Manchester, on his way to his grandmother’s house nearby.

Brady and Hindley murdered five people in total, and three were later found buried on Saddleworth Moor in the Peak District.

The victims were: Pauline Reade, 16, who disappeared on her way to a disco on July 12, 1963; John Kilbride, 12, who was snatched in November the same year; Lesley Ann Downey, 10, who was lured away from a funfair on Boxing Day 1964; and Edward Evans, 17, who was axed to death in October 1965.

Brady and Hindley were caught after Edward’s murder and Lesley and John’s bodies were recovered from the moor.

READ ABOUT MEGHAN MARKLE’S LEGAL STEPS FOR HARRY

Saddleworth Moor search

Officers and forensics experts search for Keith Bennett’s remains on Saddleworth Moor (Image: PA)

Saddleworth Moor search

Police launch a drone during the search on Saddleworth Moor (Image: PA)

They were taken to Saddleworth Moor to help police find the remains of the other victims, but only Pauline’s body was recovered.

Brady claimed he could not remember where he had buried Keith.

In 2009, police said a covert search operation on the moor, using a wealth of scientific experts, also failed to discover any trace of the boy.

Hindley died in jail in 2002 at the age of 60 and Brady died in a high-security hospital in 2017 aged 79.

DON’T MISS: 
90-year-old follows burglar to Asda and beats him to get wallet back [REVEALED] 
Woman thanks Martin Lewis after slashing energy bills by £1,300 [REPORT] 
Harry and Meghan warned King to deny children titles as ‘trust broken’ [LATEST]

Saddleworth Moor search

Blue tents on Saddleworth Moor (Image: PA)

In 2012 – 48 years after Keith’s death – his mother Winnie Johnson died aged 78 without fulfilling her wish to give him a Christian burial.

Greater Manchester Police said the Cold Case Review Unit, supported by specialist officers and staff from across Greater Manchester Police as well as experts from accredited partner agencies, has completed the search of the area of interest on Saddleworth Moor. The force added that at this time, there is no evidence of the presence of human remains.

Assistant Chief Constable Sarah Jackson said: “Since 1964, Greater Manchester Police has remained committed to finding answers for Keith Bennett’s family. Keith’s family is central to any action we take in relation to this case and the thoughts of everyone involved remain them. Dedicated officers remain in regular liaison with them to ensure they are updated on any progress we make.

“We have always said that we would respond, in a timely and appropriate manner, to any credible information which may lead us towards finding Keith. Our actions in the last week or so are a highly visible example of what that response looks like, with the force utilising the knowledge and skills of accredited experts, specialist officers and staff.

Saddleworth Moor search

Winifred Johnson, mother of Keith Bennett, pictured on Saddleworth Moor in 1995 (Image: Getty)

She added: “It is these accredited experts and specialists who have brought us to a position from where we can say that, despite a thorough search of the scene and ongoing analysis of samples taken both by ourselves and a third party, there is currently no evidence of the presence of human remains at, or surrounding, the identified site on Saddleworth Moor. However, I want to make it clear that our investigation to find answers for Keith’s family is not over.

“We understand how our communities in Greater Manchester feel about this case, the renewed interest in it and the shared desire to find Keith. Much of Saddleworth Moor is private land so we would ask that members of the public, in the first instance, report any perceived intelligence to their local police service. The discovery of suspected human remains must be reported immediately to enable the use of specialist resources to investigate appropriately.”

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Cheryl Hughes said the investigation into Keith’s disappearance and murder has remained open since 1964 and will not be closed until officers have found the answers his family have deserved for so many years.

DCI Hughes said: “We are thankful for their continued support of our ongoing enquiries. This has been a distressing time for them and we ask that their privacy is respected.”

Moors Murderers

Ian Brady and Myra Hindley murdered five people (Image: Getty)

“We understand the confusion which may have been caused to Keith’s family and communities across Greater Manchester by reports to the contrary. We hope by giving this detailed update today, we provide reassurance GMP are committed to finding accurate answers for Keith’s family.”

She explained in response to the September 29 report, officers met with the member of the public who provided GMP with samples and copies of the photographs he had taken. He also took officers to the location from which he had obtained them and provided grid references.

DCI Hughes said: “In the days since, independent accredited forensic archaeologists and certified forensic anthropologists, together with GMP’s Crime Scene Investigators, have completed a methodical forensic archaeological excavation and examination of the identified area and beyond. An accredited forensic geologist also took a number of soil samples – analysis of which is ongoing.

“The items given to us by the member of the public have been examined by a forensic scientist and though this hasn’t yet indicated the presence of human remains – more analysis is required. With regards to the photograph, we have sought the assistance of a forensic botanist.

“We are now utilising the knowledge and skills of a forensic image expert to put a standard anthropological measurement to the object to assist with identification. At this stage, the indications are it would be considerably smaller than a juvenile jaw and it cannot be ruled out that it is plant-based.

“The excavation and examination at the site is complete and, to reiterate, we have found no evidence that this is the burial location of Keith Bennett.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.